A Step-by-Step Guide to the IRS Appeals Process

When you’ve worked diligently to complete your taxes and are satisfied with the results, it can be a shock to receive notification from the IRS stating that you actually owe more than you thought! If this occurs and you are absolutely sure that the IRS is incorrect in their calculations, you can choose to appeal their decision. The process to appeal isn’t complex, but must be followed correctly for the best outcome.

When Can You Appeal?

Anyone who believes the IRS is incorrect in calculating their tax liability can request an appeal. Keep in mind that an appeal can only pertain to your taxes and the tax code. If you feel that you are being discriminated against for another reason, an appeal would not be your best course of action.

The Appeals Process

When you receive a letter from the IRS stating that your tax return has been adjusted and it lists out the corrections they have made, you will also see instructions for filing an appeal. The process is pretty simple, but does have a few guidelines:

  • Your appeal will be addressed to your local IRS appeals office. It is not sent to the same department that conducted the review of your tax return.
  • You can request an in-person meeting if you choose, or can complete the appeals process through phone or writing.
  • If you owe less than $25,000 you can make a small case request. Within 30 days of receiving your adjustment letter, you can write a statement describing what parts of the proposed changes are incorrect and why you should not have to pay any additional amounts.
  • When the total due is more than $25,000 it’s best to file a formal protest. This requires written statements along with detailed information explaining the reason for your appeal.

Getting Help for a Successful Resolution

No matter how complex or straightforward your tax situation is, it’s strongly advised that you work with a skilled tax attorney during every step of the appeals process. They can assist in reviewing your case to make sure you truly do have the grounds for an appeal, and can be instrumental in helping you to craft your statements and gather your supporting documentation.

Have you received a letter from the IRS with proposed tax adjustments and want to file an appeal? Contact The Law Office of Robert Boeshaar today to discuss your case. We help individuals and small businesses resolve their disputes with the IRS to obtain the best possible outcome.

Latest posts by Robert V. Boeshaar (see all)